I have all the large pieces of drywall hung. All that needs to be finished is some small pieces to fill in a gap in the ceiling and some pieces around the windows. Taking the day off of work was great. Now I have to study up a bit on how to do drywall taping.
Paul came over and we pretty much finished all the sheets that needed two people to hang. The rest of the pieces I should be able to do by myself.
Tomorrow I’m going to try to finish the upper pieces and then take out all the flooring, down to the planks. This way, I’ll see what shape it’s in and whether I could use it or should get carpeting. It would be great if I could get to taping by the end of the week.
Photos from today.
The family came through today. We got a lot of drywall done, though not the entire room. We ran out of both drywall and screws, so had to stop. But we finished the ceiling, which was pretty hard and part of the walls, which was great. On those walls, I only have to put the lowest pieces on, which should be easy. This week, I need to go and buy more drywall, screws and a few other things. But the room is great. It’s actually starting to look like a room and I’m LOVING it.
Some photos of the drywall install are here.
I got an early start this morning and got a lot done. Unfortunately, I didn’t get everything done that I wanted. Tomorrow is the drywalling party, and I’m close, but not quite ready. I’ll have to get up early tomorrow and finish putting in the insulation in the new wall in the closet and the ceiling of the closet. I also need to buy a couple more 2x4x10s to finish the closet wall and to make the T for holding up the drywall.
My goal tomorrow is to get the drywall up on the ceiling of the main room and on the upper walls. And to bring all the drywall in the house from the garage.
Thanks to my brother Paul for coming over last night and helping me buy drywall, I now have 14 sheets of 5/8″ drywall in my garage. As soon as I finish putting up the walls in the closet and insulating, I should be ready to hang it. This weekend might be a bit soon, but I should certainly be ready by next weekend.
So there is no plaster left in the bedroom. (Finally!) I even put up some photos to show the progress. They are here.
The photos are from February and March. In the earlier photos, notice that there are supports for built-in shelves. I decided to take those down and build different types of shelves that should be easier to put up.
Still to do: Run conduit to the bedroom for a light; move the entrance to the closet to the side closest to the window; take down old electrical wires; run another wire to ceiling fan (so can have separate switches for the light and fan); build wall for insulation in closet; finish insulating and then DRYWALL!
We had to do some new poses today in yoga and they were difficult. Thus, I was already sore when I started working on the house today, but I haven’t done much lately, so I had to do some work. Today, I continued working on the closet. Basically, just taking down plaster and trim around the door and window. I’ve also decided that I’m going to move the entrance of the closet. This way, the light from the window in the closet will get to the rest of the room. After I took the plaster and lathe on the closet wall down, I realized that I really like having the light from the window in the closet come into the room.
Family obligations take precedence, so there is no work being done on the house this weekend. I’ll have to try to do something during the week to make up for this.
So I’ve decided to use this blog to, mainly, keep track of the work going on in my house. I might add other things here and there, but since my life is basically about the house right now, this blog will be too.