I got a lot done today. But pulling up floor boards is hard on my back. And by around lunchtime, I knew I was done for the day. I got most of the room done and generated a large amount of garbage, which is basically how I measure how much I worked.
The part of the floor that was under the sink was the most difficult, since it had a lot of shims to level out the slope in the floor. Here’s a look at what I was pulling up.
Once I had the sloped part of the floor done, things were a bit easier. Here’s how things looked when I finally called it a day.
Depending on how my back feels, I might be able to pull the rest of the floor up tomorrow. If not, I can get to it later in the week. The bad news is that with the holiday this week, I’m not sure when they’ll pick up my garbage. So all the bags I filled might be on the back porch for a while.
My sister has returned to town, so I had to return her car, making me carless for the time-being. I have finally decided on a car and was supposed to go and pick it up today. But, because I’m a moron, I forgot to call my insurance company to pay for insurance on my brand-new car. So, I decided to postpone picking up the car until Monday.
Instead of focusing on my incompetence, I’ve decided to look on the bright side. Now, instead of driving my car around, which I definitely would have done, I can instead get some more work done on my kitchen. No, this won’t be as much fun as driving my new car around, but it’s work that needs to be done, so I should be a grown-up and do it. My goal for today is to finish ripping out the old floor, which will basically finish the major demolition to be done. Then, I can start to concentrate on rebuilding, which will make for a nice change.
I finally finished taking down the walls in the kitchen, though I think I still have to pull off those furring strips. However, I have generated a ton of garbage, so I’ll hold off on that for now. I also have to make the wall between the kitchen and dining room into a half wall, but that can come later. I think the next step will be to rip out the floor down to the subfloor. After that, I’m not sure. I may have to consult with Mick.
Here’s how things look right now.
And I also found another brilliant thing my contractor did. The lights in the kitchen branch off the circuit that runs on the second floor. This seems like it’s not the best idea, but I really don’t know how to switch that. I’m hoping I’ll be able to get to a junction box someplace from upstairs. Because I also have to take out all the electric lines currently on the outside wall and I’d like to be able to disconnect them without having to rip out part of the recently finished ceiling.
And the bit of good news is that the fuse that controls the doorbell and outlet near was just blown. After I flipped it (when I was flipping all of them to find out which one controlled the outlets in the kitchen), I found the doorbell works just fine. Yay! I’ll take any good news I can get.
Mickey the Great came over today and we moved the gas line in my kitchen. As an added bonus, we put in some shutoff valves which I was missing. And lastly, we fully disconnected the dishwasher. We also hauled it out to the alley and two hours later, it’s already gone. Now I’ll be able to put out my beautiful old stove (that has a hole in the side) as well.
Here you can see the old hole in the floor where the gas line used to be and the new location.
Not really going to miss this old stove. I used it a lot, but I look forward to having one that doesn’t have holes in the side.
Another goofy thing I found in the house has to do with the water line that’s going to the dishwasher. It comes up through the floor to the connection on the dishwasher. However, in my basement there’s no water line going through the floor there. So, in the most bizarre plumbing I’ve ever seen (and Mick agrees with me), the pipe is running between the floor and subfloor in the kitchen. I’m going to have to be really careful when I take out the big piece of wood that was beneath the sink cabinet because somewhere under there is a water line that has no shutoff valve on it. If I hit it with my saw, it’ll be a mad dash to the basement to shut off the water to the house.
Here’s the pipe that does not in fact, come from my basement.
UPDATE: This pipe isn’t connected to anything. With a bit of force, I was able to just pull it out of the floor.
There will be no more cooking or cleaning at my house for the foreseeable future. I just finished removing the sink. It’s somewhat depressing thinking about how much more work I have to do.
You’ll also notice that the dishwasher is still there. I have yet to disconnect the electric line to it. I was going to do that earlier and discovered that the line comes from the outlet where my dryer is plugged in. Since I was also washing clothes at the same time, I decided that I’d wait another day to kill the power and disconnect things.
One nice thing I did notice as I was taking some garbage out was that the roses in my backyard look really great.
Yesterday was the annual Run for Hope that I’ve been doing the past few years. This year, as usual, I was racing my now 13-year old nephew Jack. He beat me last year by seven minutes and my goal was to get that down to five this year.
Here’s my substitute BFF Julie who did pretty well.
Here’s my niece Abby who did finish, but did not attempt jogging.
Here’s me attempting to kill my nephew Jack after he completely destroyed me in the race.
And the following is the proof of how badly I did (and how great Jack ran). I should be happy, since my speed was faster than I’ve been running this summer. But I’m not because I was about 30 seconds slower than last year. Pathetic.
UPDATE: Here’s the link to the posted race results.
LATER UPDATE: My niece Abby was very happy to have finished absolutely last. She actually waited at the finish line for the other runner near the end to finish before her.