The Spice Rack

My brother-in-law requested a spice rack for his kitchen. And my brother sent me this link (https://www.amazon.com/Seville-Classics-3-Tier-Expandable-Organizer/dp/B001E2864K) to see if I could copy it. I knew that the rack had to hold 31 jars of spices and that each jar was basically 2 1/4" in diameter and 3" tall. So I figured four shelves were needed and the overall width of it should be 20 inches. I also had some maple boards in my garage that were old shelves from my condo. I figured I could split them on my table saw (which turned out to be difficult) and then cut out the pieces I needed. I'm very happy that I could use wood I already had for this, since I wasted a lot of the board when I couldn't split it easily or evenly. I just used glue to hold everything together because the wood was pretty thin and I thought screws or nails would split it.

The first thing I did was cut out the sides, which were like a set of stairs.
img_7761

The next step was to basically connect the sides.
img_4561

Then I just cut pieces to be the "treads" and "risers" of the stairs. However, I don't really have great cutting skills and I think my table saw blade wasa a bit dull AND my fence wasn't quite square. Due to all of these, the places where the boards all met didn't fit tightly together, as shown below.
screen-shot-2016-09-11-at-1-54-14-pm
screen-shot-2016-09-11-at-1-53-44-pm

I also screwed up by cutting the front piece on the bottom stair on the inside of the two sides, instead of covering the sides. This just looked bad.
screen-shot-2016-09-11-at-1-55-24-pm

I "fixed" all of these problems by cutting some small pieces and gluing them over the bad parts. And then because I still wasn't sure they'd like it, I made another one out of some leftover recycled boards.

Here are the final products.

no1

no2

And here's the final one my brother-in-law picked with all of his spices on it.
final