Since I couldn't sand the drywall on Sunday as it was still wet, I did some electrical work. I disconnected the old wire from the breaker and installed a new one. I then went to the bedroom and plugged in a lamp in one of the outlets I've installed. IT WORKED! HAPPY DANCE! I then shut the breaker back off because I haven't finished putting the other outlets and switches in.
Today, I put a little more mud on the corners. Hopefully, I'll sand everything down tomorrow or Wednesday and see how things look. If it's ok, I'll start painting this weekend. Otherwise, there'll be more sanding and taping this weekend.
After a full day of taping yesterday, I took today (Sunday) off. The main reason was that the mud I put on yesterday was still a little wet. So I couldn't really sand anything. Tomorrow after work, I'll start sanding and then see how much more mud I have to apply.
I've started taping the drywall and it's slow going. It took me a while to get the hang of getting the paper tape up, but I seem to have this part down. Unfortunately, I ran out of paper tape. I have about two more walls of seams to do and should get to them tomorrow morning. Once the "tape" layer is done, the next layer is the fill layer. This is where a little artistic talent will come in, I think. At this point, I need to start to make the walls look smooth. The nice part is that I get to start using the nice metal 8" trowel instead of the crummy 6" plastic one that I've been using.
So, the drywall is done and I've started taping. I just did a couple of seams in the closet, to see how it dries and how it will look tomorrow. It's slow and messy, but definitely doable. I might have to do more sanding to get rid of mistakes, but I think I'll be able to make it look nice.
I also found my first big mistake. I moved the entrance to the closet so that a small window would be in the room. Today, I decided to try to open the window. It had been painted shut and was not about to budge. But, with a lot of prying and pushing, I got it to open a little. Well, first I shifted the glass in the window, so that it has a nice little hole now. (So much for making the room warmer with insulation). But when I did get it to actually open, it ran right into the new wall I just built. I *thought* I was flush with the board that was there, but alas no. I'll have to do a little sanding to let me open the window. And I'm not quite sure how I'm going to finish the window since there is absolutely no room to put drywall, as I did around the other window. Oh well. My first mistake from which I'll learn something.
I have all the large pieces of drywall hung. All that needs to be finished is some small pieces to fill in a gap in the ceiling and some pieces around the windows. Taking the day off of work was great. Now I have to study up a bit on how to do drywall taping.
Paul came over and we pretty much finished all the sheets that needed two people to hang. The rest of the pieces I should be able to do by myself.
Tomorrow I'm going to try to finish the upper pieces and then take out all the flooring, down to the planks. This way, I'll see what shape it's in and whether I could use it or should get carpeting. It would be great if I could get to taping by the end of the week.
Photos from today.
The new switch I ordered arrived the other day. I set it up and now am able to successfully have coldandheartless' mail working. I'm still having some problems with getting webmail working, but since no one is going to be using that, I'm not overly concerned with this problem.
The family came through today. We got a lot of drywall done, though not the entire room. We ran out of both drywall and screws, so had to stop. But we finished the ceiling, which was pretty hard and part of the walls, which was great. On those walls, I only have to put the lowest pieces on, which should be easy. This week, I need to go and buy more drywall, screws and a few other things. But the room is great. It's actually starting to look like a room and I'm LOVING it.
Some photos of the drywall install are here.
I got an early start this morning and got a lot done. Unfortunately, I didn't get everything done that I wanted. Tomorrow is the drywalling party, and I'm close, but not quite ready. I'll have to get up early tomorrow and finish putting in the insulation in the new wall in the closet and the ceiling of the closet. I also need to buy a couple more 2x4x10s to finish the closet wall and to make the T for holding up the drywall.
My goal tomorrow is to get the drywall up on the ceiling of the main room and on the upper walls. And to bring all the drywall in the house from the garage.
Thanks to my brother Paul for coming over last night and helping me buy drywall, I now have 14 sheets of 5/8" drywall in my garage. As soon as I finish putting up the walls in the closet and insulating, I should be ready to hang it. This weekend might be a bit soon, but I should certainly be ready by next weekend.